My Orthodox Family - Family Letter
Welcome to our FOCUS Parish Education Program. This term, we are studying a new program entitled "My Orthodox Family!" It is a program for the whole family, from pre-school through adult study groups. There are special activities and materials for each age/group level to appeal to everyone's interests. There are ideas and activities for family members to discuss and do together.
Each week we will focus on a different sub-theme that every group will study, each at their own level.
The common themes for each week are:
1. Every Family Has a Story 5. Every Parish Has a Story
2. Life Together as a Family 6. Being Christian and Being Orthodox
3. God's Story and God's People 7. The Work of God's People
4. Members of God's Family, the Church 8. Following God in Our Lives
During these eight weeks, we will learn about the growth of Orthodox Christianity in North America; the saints and leaders who were our Orthodox "pioneers" in this hemisphere; the growth of parishes founded by hundreds of thousands of immigrants from many Orthodox lands; the emergence of a truly "American" church life, and the responsibilities we are called to share today as we reach out in service to others in our neighborhoods and cities, and in our mission to witness to God's word by manifesting God's will in our own lives.
In the process, you will have the opportunity to learn more about your own family:
- how they came to this land (or received God's Word through missionaries that came to North America),
- how our parishes were established and grew,
- what problems our ancestors faced as immigrant minorities,
- what questions Orthodox Christians face as a relatively unknown faith,
- what social, ethical or religious questions and challenges we must address today,
- and how we can rejoice as we work together towards one Orthodox Church in North America.
Please join us as we celebrate over 200 years of Orthodox Church life on this continent!